As it’s my birthday on Saturday (eeeeekkk!) I thought I would do a post on some of the important things I’ve learned in my soon-to-be 26 years on this planet!
So here goes…
1. Be kind.
2. Stay humble – and always show gratitude.
3. Play to your strengths – if you’re good at something, invest time in it.
4. Academic performance doesn’t define your intelligence.
5. You are perfectly entitled to feel the way you feel at any time. This was the best advice anyone has ever given me. You can feel any damn way you want and no one can tell you how you ‘should’ feel.
6. Saying that, jealousy, though you are totally allowed to feel it, is destructive. So I’ve learned to turn it into motivation or try to come to terms with the things I can’t change. Someone earns more money that you? Put the work in and work towards a promotion. Your ex has a new girlfriend? They’re not a part of your life anymore so it’s not worth thinking about.
7. Time heals – even if you think it won’t.
8. People present the best versions of themselves on social media – no one’s life is perfect behind closed doors.
9. If you don’t ask you don’t get. Cannot stress this one enough and I live my life by it.
10. Do your research instead of making an impulse buy…
11. But you deserve to treat yourself so if you see something awesome then get it!
12. Keep track of your finances and always make sure you have a financial cushion in case of unexpected emergencies (like another driver doing a 3 point turn in the middle of a 60mph road causing you to steer your car into a ditch to avoid them and then having to pay the excess for your car repairs 🤔)
13. Be tolerant of other people’s opinions. People are sensitive about the things they believe in. Sometimes it’s best to let them get on with it if you don’t agree with them!
14. But also be open to challenges to your own opinions – people can offer valid new information that can make you see things differently.
15. Try to look after yourself – physically and mentally.
16. What do you matters – no matter how small a contribution to a cause or charity….
17. …and also to people. Your words can have far-reaching effects so think before making hurtful or flippant comments (see number 1. Be kind)
18. Friendships can fade if you don’t put the effort in
19. But don’t invest time in someone who doesn’t invest in you.
20. Make time for yourself. Have a bath, read a book, take a walk.. set time aside for yourself once in a while to recharge and look after yourself.
21. Don’t live beyond your means.
22. Challenge stigma and prejudice when you encounter it.
23. Don’t apologise for who you are. You are enough and anyone who doesn’t appreciate you for who you are doesn’t deserve to be part of your life.
24. If you are unhappy with something, make a positive change about it.
25. Other people’s success is not your failure.
26. Do you. Don’t worry about what other people are doing or compare. Just concentrate on yourself and you will feel so much more fulfilled.
A lot of these are personal to me but I hope you can identify with some of them. These are some of the biggest life lessons I’ve learned so far but there are lots more I could have included!
Do you agree with any of these and what have been your biggest life lessons?